Sunday, April 29, 2012

Relay for Life

This weekend  we participated in Relay for Life, raising money and awareness for cancer. They honor survivors and the memory of lost loved ones. I have known people who have passed away from this horrible disease and one of my best friends mother has cancer right now and is going through a tough time, her father is also a cancer survivor. I went with these friends this weekend to walk and raise awareness. It was a really neat experience and I am hoping that next year I will actually raise some money to help with research. My oldest daughter stayed the night in a tent with her bff. It was really really cold and raining throughout the night. It was so bad that they had to leave at about 5:30 a.m. because of lightning, they made everyone go and the walk was cut short. During the relay you are supposed to have someone walk at all times all evening and into the next day. Our team was very small so it wasn't possible to have the continuous walkers. Hopefully next year we will do even better! One thing I saw that I found very interesting is that a public school was "hosting" the event and they played a lot of Christian music and the teachers who talked and were cancer survivors talked about their faith in God and that without him they know they would not be here today. Everyone talks how you cannot express your faith in public school settings, well I am here to tell you it is and can be done. One of the grades even sang This Little Light of Mine. I was very impressed and quite surprised. Every hour that had a "spotlight" activity, we got to do Zumba. Let me tell you, that is fun stuff! Hanna absolutely LOVED Zumba and wants me to find a place we can go to lol! She was so fun, I even had people come tell me how much they loved watching her! So, if you ever get the chance to participate in Relay for Life go for it, you wont regret it! I will leave you with some photos!















2 comments:

  1. Did you know there's a Zuumba game for the Wii??? Hanna NEEDS it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We really want to get that! I also want to find a class around here!

      Delete

Words from friends...